I love ginger. I put it in my smoothies, in my juices and in my tea. But, I had never tried ginger juice... by itself. In fact, I actually steer away from juices most of the time. Juices are devoid of fiber and shock your system with sugar. I believe God created foods perfectly, and as such you should consume them as they were created. However, in some instances juices can serve as true elixirs. They flood your system with much needed micronutrients and enzymes in a highly concentrated form as long as you steer away from sugary juices...
Going back to ginger juice ... I had never tried it, but Ginger is a powerhouse for your skin, body, and energy. It has a wide range of antioxidants, antibacterial, detoxifying, and antiviral properties. My skin was showing some sings of acne, my body felt inflamed, and I felt like I was retaining water. I walked into Chicago Raw, an amazing raw foods place on Huron st that I highly recommend, and saw a ginger shot. It was destiny. I had been thinking about drinking ginger juice and behold, there was a ginger shot right in front of me. Well, I bought it on the spot and came home.
The next day, I decided to have it first thing in the morning. I won't lie. It is not easy to drink. I put it in a shot-glass as if I was kicking back some tequila and... Bottoms up! Wowza! It was like being slapped in the face and then having a lake of fire flow through your throat. I was jumping and making faces because ginger by itself is so freaking hot. But, after 5 minutes, I felt completely fine. In fact, my stomach felt really settled, like it hadn't in a while. At the end of the day my saliva felt very alkaline much like when I used to eat only raw foods. My body felt detoxed and refreshed. Could it be the ginger? Or was it a coincidence?
Well, just in case I pressed my own ginger juice the very next day. But this time, I added a squeeze of lemon, and arnica extract which is another inflammatory powerhouse. I noticed I was no longer suffering with water retention, even though my period was to come in a day or two. The next day, I did it one more time. On the third day, I noticed my skin was clear as day, even though that was the first day of my period. Let's just say I adopted the ginger shot habit in the morning. I have been doing one everyday before my green smoothie. I have never seen anything like it. Its inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties can be felt in the body in a matter of days.
I was so amazed at the changes I felt that I did some research. Here are some of the benefits of this amazing root that I felt in my body firsthand:
1) Ant-aging: Ginger contains 40 antioxidants. These include gingerols, curcumin, shogaols, zingerones, vitamin C, and farnesol. Think of this shot as an anti-aging powerhouse for your skin.
2) Goodbye Acne: Ginger has anti-inflammatory, anti-septic and anti-bacterial compounds that fight acne from the inside out. I can't explain it, you have to feel for yourself. It's like all of the inflammation is suddenly gone from your face. In fact, studies have shown that the anti-inflammatory compounds found in ginger can rival non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs available in the market today.
3) Bloating: Bloating is linked to our digestive system not working well. Ginger stimulates your digestion and the emptying of the stomach. The feeling of gas and discomfort will be gone.
4) Water retention: You know right before your period when you retain water? Ginger is a natural diuretic and helps you shed that water weight.
5) Diabetes: Ginger reduces blood glucose by inhibiting enzymes in carbohydrate metabolism, increasing insulin release and sensitivity, and improving lipid profiles.
6) Promising in fighting cancer: Studies have shown that ginger's anti-inflammatory compounds create anticancer activity in the human body . It works against tumors and prevents the toxic effects of many substances.
Now that you have been blown away by all of Ginger's amazing properties, here's how you make this very easy and cheap elixir:
1 root of ginger (Buy Organic!)
1 measure of Arnica liquid extract (0.22 ml) I buy mine from Herb Pharm.
1 lemon (squeezed)
Wash the root of ginger. I like to use a vinegar and water bath, If it isn't organic, peel it. Using a juicer, I prefer a slow juicer like Hurom (You can see the juicer I own here), juice your ginger root. Then add a measure of the arnica liquid extract and squeeze the lemon inside the juice container. You should have approximately 4 oz of the shot which gives you two shots. Drink only 2oz at a time, in the morning, on an empty stomach. Since this is a very powerful shot, I wouldn't do it everyday. Maybe try it for a week, then vary your morning routine after that.