Are you traveling this holiday season and anticipating a 5lb weight gain? Well, with a little planning and a lot of will power, I guarantee you can keep that weight gain at bay. There are 6 items I bring with me whenever I travel. Here is what I do whenever I travel to keep my body healthy and any weight gain to a minimum (Want more tips like these? Sign up for 4 weeks of free and exclusive tips in January Here)
- Travel Blender: I never travel without a travel blender, unless I am 100% sure there is a raw vegan juice bar by my hotel. I own a powerful travel blender called nutri ninja (The link is in the bottom of the page). It has 900 watts of power - a vitamix has around 1500 watts - so this travel blender is pretty powerful. So powerful in fact, it could probably serve as your main blender at home. It makes great green smoothies in the morning even when you add fibrous veggies. I went on a holy yoga retreat recently and all of my cabin mates thought I was crazy. I brought my little blender along and instead of having pancakes in the morning - I would save the greens from the night before and blend them in the morning with a banana and my pre-packed superfood goodness (which is my next must have item). Which reminds me, bring small plastic zip lock bags to collect greens and fruit from the buffet at your hotel or restaurant and place them in your room fridge for later use. Also, when you book your hotel, request a fridge. Let them know you have special dietary needs, and they will usually oblige.
- Pre-packed superfoods: As I said before, a little planning goes a long way when traveling. Nobody wants to lug around boxes and containers to make a green smoothie. What is a girl to do? Pre-pack all of her smoothie goodness into little plastic ziplock bags. I prepare one bag per day of my stay that way even if I don't find greens I can blend a banana (which is available anywhere) with my super foods. I usually add Amazing Grass Green Superfoods ( link at the bottom of page) - a raw and amazing supplement, some maca (link at the bottom of page) which helps with stress and my immunity, and some hemp seeds for a clean, whole food source of protein. I make sure to feed my body well first thing in the morning so I don't feel any cravings. The smoothies usually tide me over till lunch time.
- Portable morning shots: Every morning I take a shot after drinking my 32 ounces of water. I usually have a wheatgrass or turmeric and ginger shot, but, finding a shot on the go can be quite challenging. First, because there are no travel juicers I know of (trust me I have looked), and second because juice bars are not available in your destination. So if my research shows no juice bars close to my hotel, I bring a powdered wheatgrass drink. It is not as effective as the real thing, but it helps me keep my routine consistent - and consitency is key in keeping with a healthy lifestyle. Sometimes, I even add it to my water throughout the day when traveling because it is such a great detoxifier.
- Hemp seeds: Hemp seeds make my world go round! Seriously, these little tiny seeds can turn any lame salad into a nutritional powerhouse. Sometimes, it may be hard coming across a good plant-based meal when traveling. So I bring my hemp seeds and I add it to everything I eat. I buy Manitoba Harvest (link below). Hemp seeds are the most nutritious seed in the world and a complete protein. They have a balanced profile of protein, essential fats, enzymes, and vitamins with low sugar, starches, and saturated fats. Adding these seeds to salads, soups, and meals keeps me satiated for a longer period of time as well. Keeping me from eating too much junk when on holiday.
- Accessories: Always bring reusable cutlery, and a water bottle or travel coffee mug. You will need it to create your smoothies and keep yourself hydrated throughout the day. I love the bamboo cutlery to-go ware makes and I have a set (link Below). You could use plastic cutlery - but who wants to trash the environment?
- Justin's chocolate almond or hazelnut butter packs : Have you tasted Justin's Chocolate Almond Butter? If you haven't - maybe you shouldn't... They are so good, it is hard to stop eating them. But, if you have enough self control these little packs make a great on the go snack (with a banana) or a late night healthy indulgence. I love eating something sweet and delicious in bed, so I bring these little packs of amazingness along and I eat them with bananas. It can also make for an amazing breakfast if you can't make a green smoothie.
I hope the tips were helpful for your impending holiday travel. It is important to keep our bodies healthy and to be consistent, but also remember to enjoy your trip and immerse yourself in local culture and food! Take a meal to really indulge and experience the local cuisine... You can always walk off the calories later ;)